Totara & Moodle
Totara is an open source distribution of Moodle, the leading open source learning platform.
What exactly do we mean by a distribution? A distribution is a ready-made extended version of the standard product with its own particular focus and vision, while still being an integral part of the overall Moodle framework. Thus whilst Totara is separate from Moodle, and not distributed by Moodle, we keep it in step with Moodle versions going forward.
Our vision for Totara is specifically focused on the requirements of corporate, industry and vocational training in contrast to a standard Moodle's traditional educational setting. Our specialty is workplace learning and this is delivered via Totara's innovative features and design, professional documentation and support.
Within the Moodle community, high quality distributions, like Totara, are a sign of maturity and depth. Distributions that engage with and contribute to the community add huge value to the ecosystem. It is a core to our company philosophy to contribute to the Moodle community on an ongoing basis.
Our ethos is to collaborate, and the good news is that we're very experienced in doing so. See a Brief History.
Totara's Moodle Community Policy
- Totara Learning does not represent Moodle HQ. Moodle is a registered trademark of the Moodle Trust. Totara Learning Solutions Ltd is not associated with the Moodle Trust.
- We are proud to be an integral member of the Moodle community. We will not split the community by building our own open source community. The public community and community software downloads are at Moodle.org.
- We do not deviate from Moodle's core architecture. Our innovations are a set of interrelated enhancements.
- We will make regular code contributions, both in the form of 3rd party plug-ins and core functionality.
- We align our release paths to ensure easy upgrade paths. Our policy is to build new innovations on the last stable Moodle release. For example, the core of Totara is built on Moodle 1.9. Several features have been contributed to Moodle 2.0, and other Moodle 2.0 features included in Totara. By doing so, Totara versions stay in lock-step with major Moodle stable releases.
- We submit patches upstream to the Moodle code-base.
- Moodle Partners are automatically eligible to become Totara Partners and receive a discount on their partner fee. Totara's Partnership program complements the Moodle Partner program by being structured very differently. Ours is a support services reseller program and we do not charge any royalty fees as Totara is largely Moodle code.